About Mr Agarwal
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
MBBS, DO, FRCSEd, FRCOphth, FRCS(Glasg)
Mr Agarwal is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon and a glaucoma expert based in the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh.
Since moving from Glasgow in 2010, his NHS clinics are based in the Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh and St John’s Hospital Eye Department, Livingston.
His private clinics are in Spire Shawfair Park Hospital and The Edinburgh Clinic.
Mr Agarwal is a keen researcher and during his initial days of training in Ophthalmology in India he developed an eye drop, Itraconazole for treating fungal Corneal Ulcers.
His main passion is patient awareness in glaucoma. He started Scotland's fist glaucoma support group in collaboration with IGA (International Glaucoma Association).
Mr Agarwal is regularly invited by the rotary club and other patient support groups to speak on various topics including cataracts and glaucoma.
After completing his medical qualifications from India in 2001, Mr Agarwal entered into the West of Scotland rotation for his ophthalmology training and completed his fellowship in Glaucoma. He was then appointed as a consultant in Lothian with special interest in Glaucoma.
With over 17 years of experience in Ophthalmology, Mr Agarwal is a busy and accomplished surgeon. Most of his practice includes complex case cataract surgery and glaucoma surgeries like trabeculectomy, minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) including XEN, Istent and tube surgery.
A large part of his practice includes glaucoma lasers such as selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT), peripheral iridotomy (PI) and YAG capsulotomies sometimes required after cataract surgery.
Mr Agarwal is passionate about shared care Glaucoma services, helping to establish more accessible and improved levels of glaucoma care within the community. He is deeply involved in training of doctors and optometrists within the community and hospital. He is involved in various projects, clinical studies and sits on a number of boards within Scotland.
He is currently Training Programme Director for the Ophthalmology in South-East Scotland.
Mr Agarwal works closely with the University of Edinburgh and is currently an examiner and clinical tutor for the online MSc Glaucoma and ChM courses.
- Second Prize in Oral presentation in Sisir Tewari Memorial Presentation Session in Annual SODECS conference, September 2018 for the paper. ‘Awareness and knowledge of Glaucoma in ethnic minority groups in Scotland’
- Third Prize in Oral presentation in Sisir Tewari Memorial Presentation Session in Annual SODECS conference, March 2017 for the paper. ‘Minimising prescription errors- A quality improvement Project in Eye Clinic in NHS Lothian’
- Clinical Tutor of the Year 2015-2016, University of Edinburgh MSc in Ophthalmology
- Ivor Levy Prize 2010 at Annual Congress of Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London. For the best neurophthalmology poster for Delayed diagnosis of Oculopharyngeal Muscular Dystrophy (OPMD) in Scotland
- Best Poster prize at Royal Medico-chirurgical Society of Glasgow (RMCSG)
Research Prize Night on Thursday 5th March 2009 for the poster on “Effect of blood pressure in intra-operative complications during phacoemulsification surgery”
- Scottish Ophthalmological Club (SOC) (Pfizer) Travel Award 2008 (First Prize) for the paper “The Effect of Socioeconomic Deprivation on Severity of Glaucoma at Presentation.”
- Lachlan McNeill Scholarship in 2007 by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
- Best SHO Case Presentation prize at West of Scotland regional SHO Presentation in Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, Gartnavel General Hospital in 2005 for my paper “Atypical conjunctival CD5+ lymphoma”
- Winner of Dr P.K. Sarkar Award for the Best Publication in Clinicopathological work by Ophthalmological Society of West Bengal (OSWB) for my paper on “Efficacy of topical and systemic itraconazole as a broad-spectrum antifungal agent in mycotic corneal ulcer. A Preliminary study”
- Presentation, Clinical Signs and Prognostic Factors of Mycotic Keratitis. Mustafa MZ, Agarwal PK. Mycotic Keratitis August 2019
- Beck DER, Agarwal P. Cluster of chalazia in nurses using eye protection while caring for critically ill patients with COVID-19 in intensive care .Occup Environ Med. 2020 Aug 18:oemed-2020-106871. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2020-106871. Online ahead of print.
- Rotchford AP, Hughes J, Agarwal PK, Tatham AJ. Prevalence of treatment with glaucoma medication in Scotland, 2010-2017. Br J Ophthalmol. 2019 May 16. pii: bjophthalmol-2019-314206. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2019-314206
- Sii S, Nasser A, Loo CY, Croghan C, Rotchford A, Agarwal PK. The impact of SIGN glaucoma guidelines on false-positive referrals from community optometrists in Central Scotland. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 May 18. pii: bjophthalmol-2018
- Daly R, Agarwal PK. Is Patient Knowledge of Glaucoma Improved by Using a Glaucoma Logbook? J Glaucoma. 2018 May;27(5):470-475.
- McTrusty AD, Cameron LA, Perperidis A, Brash HM, Tatham AJ, Agarwal PK et al. Comparison of Threshold Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry (SVOP) and Standard Automated Perimetry (SAP) in Glaucoma. Part II: Patterns of Visual Field Loss and Acceptability. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2017.
- Murray IC, Perperidis A, Cameron LA, McTrusty AD, Brash HM, Tatham AJ, Agarwal PK, Fleck BW, Minns RA. Comparison of Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry and Standard Automated Perimetry in Glaucoma. Part I: Threshold Values and Repeatability. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2017 Sep 6;6(5):3. doi: 10.1167/tvst.6.5.3. eCollection 2017 Sep.
- Megaw R, Agarwal PK. Surv Ophthalmol. 2017 May - Jun;62(3):277-285. doi: 10.1016/j.survophthal.2016.12.005. Epub 2016 Dec 22. Review.
- Azuara-Blanco A, Burr J, Ramsay C, Cooper D, Foster PJ, Friedman DS, Scotland G,Javanbakht M, Cochrane C, Norrie J; EAGLE study group. Effectiveness of early lens extraction for the treatment of primary angle-closure glaucoma (EAGLE): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016 Oct 1;388(10052):1389-1397. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30956-4. PMID: 27707497( Principal investigator for Edinburgh)
- Syrogiannis A, Rotchford AP, Agarwal PK, Kumarasamy M, Montgomery D, Burr JSanders R. Glaucoma-service provision in Scotland: introduction and need for Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network guidelines. Clin Ophthalmol. 2015 Sep 29;9:1835-43. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S91818. eCollection 2015
- Khan AA, Mustafa MZ, El-Assal K, Agarwal P. Correcting timolol prescribing in glaucoma management.Eur J Ophthalmol. 2015 May 25;25(4):e56-7. doi: 10.5301/ejo.5000610. No abstract available. PMID: 25907293
- Lim LT, Agarwal PK, Young D, Ah-Kee EY, Diaper CJ. The Effect of Socio-Economic Status on Severity of Periocular Basal Cell Carcinoma at Presentation. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Feb 25
- Agarwal PK, Rotchford AP, Gracie A, Lim LT, Cameron AD, Ramaesh K. Does amniotic membrane absorb cytokines and growth factors from the local engrafted environment? A novel mechanism of therapeutic action. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2015 Feb 11. doi: 10.1111/ceo.12507.
- Lockington D, Agarwal P, Young D, Caslake M, Ramaesh K. Antioxidant properties of amniotic membrane: novel observations from a pilot study. Can J Ophthalmol. 2014 Oct;49(5):426-30. doi: 10.1016/j.jcjo.2014.07.005.
- Lockington D, Cooney J, Lewis A, Agarwal P, Caslake M, Ramaesh K. Substance P concentration in human amniotic membrane. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Apr;130(4):522-3. doi: 10.1001/archophthalmol.2011.1452
- Pankaj Kumar Agarwal, Lik Thai Lim and Donald Montgomery. Emerging Therapeutic Regimens for Glaucoma and Ocular Hypertension. Clinical Medicine Reviews in Therapeutics. 2011:3 1–12
- Agarwal PK, Mansfield DC, Mechan D, Al-Shahi Salman R, Davenport RJ, Connor M, Metcalfe R, Petty R.Delayed diagnosis of oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy in Scotland. Br J Ophthalmol. 2011 May 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Agarwal PK, Bowman R, Courtright P.Child Eye Health Tertiary Facilities in Africa.J AAPOS. 2010 Jun;14(3):263-6.
- Agarwal PK, Mathew M, Virdi M. Is there an effect of perioperative blood pressure on intraoperative complications during phacoemulsification surgery under local anaesthesia? Eye (Lond). 2010 Jul;24(7):1186-92.
- Ng WS, Agarwal PK, Sidiki S, Mackay L, Townend J, Azuara Blanco A. The Effect of Socioeconomic Deprivation on Severity of Glaucoma at Presentation. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009 Jul 23.
- Awan MA, Agarwal PK, Watson DG, McGhee CN, Dutton GN. Penetration of topical and subconjunctival corticosteroids into human aqueous humour and its therapeutic significance. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009 Jun; 93(6):708-13. Review.
- Russell HC, Agarwal PK, Somner JE, Bowman RJ, Dutton GN. "Off-Axis Digital Flash Photography: a Common Cause of Artefact Leukocoria in Children," J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2010 Jan 1:1-3. doi: 10.3928/01913913-20091218-04
- Agarwal PK, Roy P, Das A, Banerjee A, Maity PK, Banerjee AR. Efficacy of topical and systemic itraconazole as a broad-spectrum antifungal agent in mycotic corneal ulcer. A preliminary study. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2001 Sep; 49(3):173-6. PMID: 15887725
- 20. Das A, Dey AK, Agarwal PK, Majumdar AK, Majumdar S, Chatterjee SS. Nosocomial ocular infection--a prospective study. J Indian Med Assoc. 2003 Aug; 101(8):490-2. PMID: 15071804
- Microtia and associated anomalies in Goldenhar- Gorlin Syndrome- a clinical study” published In Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. 2005
- Das A, Khan M, Bandhopadhyay C, Ghosh A, Agarwal PK, Banerjee AR.Evaluation of visual outcome following cataract surgery in a tertiary eye care hospital. J Indian Med Assoc.2006 Mar; 104(3):116-8, 120. PMID: 16910332
- Das A, Agarwal PK, Surana S,Banerjee AR, Sarkar SK, Sur PK. Ocular and periocular malignant tumours- a 10 year’s retrospective analysis. Journal of Clinical Radiotherapy and Oncology.Vol 2. No 1:12-18, March 2002.
- Agarwal PK, Ahmed TY, Diaper CJ. Retained soft contact lens masquerading as a chalazion: a case report. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2013 Feb;61(2)
- Agarwal PK, Lim LT, Fern A. Atypical conjunctival CD5 positive mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) lymphoma. Semin Ophthalmol. 2012 May-Jul;27(3-4):46-7
- Agarwal PK, Lim LT, Park S, Spiteri-Cornish K, Cox A. Alternating Horner's syndrome in multiple sclerosis. Semin Ophthalmol. 2012 Jan-Mar;27(1-2):40-1
- Ahmed TY, Agarwal PK , Roberts F , Diaper CJ. Periocular steroids in conjunctival reactive lymphoid hyperplasia, a new approach? Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2011 Aug ; 39(6):576-7.
- Lim LT, Agarwal PK, Rotchford A. Angle-closure glaucoma due to suprachoroidal hemorrhage secondary to disseminated intravascular coagulation. Semin Ophthalmol. 2011 Mar;26(2):59-60.
- Lim LT, Agarwal PK, Cauchi P, Diaper CJ.Laterality of Periocular Basal Cell Carcinomas in Relation to Driving Practices in Scotland, United Kingdom. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Nov 4.
- Agarwal PK, Lim LT, Diaper CJM. Iris Cyst. publication as Minerva Article
- Agarwal PK, Awan MA, Strang N, Dutton GN. Gillespie syndrome with impaired accommodation.. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2009 Jan-Feb;46(1):60.
- Agarwal PK, Gallaghar M, Murphy E, Virdi M. Endogenous endophthalmitis in a rheumatoid patient on tumor necrosis factor alpha blocker. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2007 May-Jun; 55(3):230-2 PMID: 17456948
- Li Yim JF, Agarwal PK, Fern A. Leucocytoclastic vasculitis presenting as bilateral marginal Keratitis. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2007 Apr; 35(3):288-90. PMID: 17430523
- Weir CR, Agarwal PK, Bryce I. Recovery of stereoacuity 27 years after trauma: an unusual case. Eye. 2007 Feb 2; PMID: 17277750
- Banerjee A, Das A, Agarwal PK, Banerjee AR. Late spontaneous extrusion of a wooden intraorbital foreign body. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2003 Mar; 51(1):83-4. PMID: 12701870